black plaque · Newcastle upon Tyne

Black plaque № 43433

Placeholder for Black plaque № 43433 black plaque

St. Mary's Chapel. Built in 12th Century; enlarged in 14th. A place of pilgrimage in the Middle Ages; sold by Edward VI to Newcastle in 1549. After having many owners, it was returned to Newcastle by Lord Armstrong in 1883.

Source: Open Plaques. Geographic data via OpenStreetMap.

Nearby locations in Newcastle upon Tyne

Browse all memorials in Newcastle upon Tyne

Data sources

Location records are drawn from open, licence-clean datasets, kept here with attribution and gratitude to the people who maintain them.

  • Open Plaques, dedicated to the public domain (CC0). See openplaques.org.
  • Wikidata, available under the CC0 1.0 Universal dedication.
  • © OpenStreetMap contributors, available under the Open Database Licence.
  • Historic England, National Heritage List for England, used under the Open Government Licence v3.0. War memorial records are drawn from open community datasets (OpenStreetMap, Wikidata, NHLE) - never from the Commonwealth War Graves Commission, which is excluded.

Editorial descriptions, photography and tribute links are original TributeLegacy work, layered on top of the open data.

Directions to here