bronze plaque · Liverpool
This

This building erected by The Corporation of Liverpool, was, by a resolution of the Council, dated 6th October, 1875, ordered to be named The Picton Reading Room, in recognition of the valuable services rendered by James Allanson Picton Esquire, J.P. F.S.A. in his capacity as chairman of the public library, museum and gallery of arts committee, which position he had then occupied for a period exceeding a quarter of a century. Foundation stone laid 2nd December 1875. Building opened and inaugurated, 8th Octr 1879. Thomas Bland Royden, Mayor.
Source: Open Plaques. Geographic data via OpenStreetMap.